Monday, November 29, 2010

Self-Righteousness Sucks.

I'm memorizing Luke 15.
It's been on my mind & heart the past few days as I was once again reminded of how self-righteous I am - SO much like the elder brother in the Prodigal Son story. While the Prodigal Son story is so much about the son deliberately disobeying the Father, living wildly, then returning to the Father to ask for forgiveness, it is a perfect picture of the Father's love. Not only is the Father waiting for the Son & runs out to greet & kiss him, but he leaves the party to go out & talk with the elder son. People matter to God. The LOST matter to God. The RELIGIOUS, SELF-RIGHTEOUS matter to God.
The elder brother was jealous of the blessings the lost son was receiving. He complained that he had worked & served his father "all these years" and "never once" was given anything he wanted.
I can so relate. The other night I had an elder brother moment. I was praying to God & it went something like this: "Lord, I've been obedient to everything you've asked. I've been faithful to you. Why do I have to wait any longer? Just give this to me NOW!" Sounds so much like the elder brother in this situation. So convicting...
Tonight I had to repent again for the Lord to forgive me for thinking of myself higher than I ought or that I deserve anything. Truth is I DON'T deserve anything. But the Father says "you are always with me & everything I have is yours" (31).
The blessings of the Lord are more numerous than I know.
I want to be obedient because I LOVE the Lord, not because I think I will get anything out of it.
I don't want to be threatened by grace towards my self-righteousness, but invite it to make me more righteous.
God's Fatherly love is deeper than I can comprehend & for that I am beyond grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Rach thanks for sharing this. So convicting to be reminded of this- and I loved being reminded of Luke 15. I love you.

    ReplyDelete