When people asked, “What do you want to do with your life?” or “What are your passions?” or "If you could do anything for God, what would it be?" I always responded with something along the lines of church ministry & youth. Never once did the thought of missions cross my mind. My view of missions was living in an undeveloped country, in a mud hut, never showering, eating weird animals, and trying to live as one with the tribe. But then in high school I gave a short-term mission trip a try! I went to Russia to teach English to students age 15-22. It was an incredible experience, but I told myself that missions was not for me. The following summer I went to Costa Rica to help a new church begin a Youth Ministry. Another great opportunity to serve the Lord, but said I was done with short-term mission trips. THEN in December of that same year I went to Bangladesh. Oh.My.Goodness. I was in love with 1200 orphans at the House of Blessings in Bangladesh! So much so, that I went back the following year. When I then got in to Moody, I could not return for a third trip & was heart-broken to not see those children & share Bible stories & sing worship songs with them. I thought I was done…I had been half way around the world, seen poverty & shared the gospel & my testimony with unbelievers around the world.
Then I got the job at McLean & The Rock staff told me I was going to the Dominican Republic (see my Gloria a Dios post). I was thrilled and it was one of the best mission trips I have ever been on! Now I have the opportunity to go to the Philippines with the staff to preview a ministry & the work that we could potentially be a part of in the future. I was a bit uneasy at first, but am so excited to begin seeing how this all comes together. Stay tuned for more details! :)
But as we had an all staff meeting, we watched a video & I couldn’t help fighting back my tears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij1xSm5T7lc
John Piper’s words are so convicting & so true that it has to move you to action. William Wilburforce’s quote at the end is powerful. I have to do something about what I have just seen!
Now I am in full-time ministry at a church in the richest county in America. Suburbia is a people group & is one of the hardest people groups to reach. They have all their physical needs met, most of them are very happy, and they consider themselves religious-they have been to church, heard of Jesus, or “do good deeds.” So, while this people group is my mission field now, my heart is being softened for missions around the world. It was not that I didn’t care or I didn’t support those who are serving across the sea, but just more of a passion to know what is going on & to know what to do. As a Christian this is my duty & my privilege to share the love of Christ with those who do not know it. Why would I not have a place in my heart for those in Sierra Leone, but my heart consumed with a passion for the lost in St. Charles, IL? The lost are lost & there is no comparison scale in God’s eyes. He created everyone in His image, He will judge everyone according to their deeds & faith while living on earth, and He will not let everyone into Heaven. But since I know this, have been trained at a Bible college, and the Lord is on my side, what is stopping me?
No comments:
Post a Comment